How do you know if you have a nail fungus and which one? Ideally, you should seek medical attention for an accurate diagnosis. But if there is an urgent need to address this issue, our selection of photos describing the symptoms will help, focusing on being able to understand what type of onychomycosis you are suffering from.
It is not enough to diagnose toenail fungus - it is important to accurately determine the type of pathogen, stage and form of the disease. Doctors use a number of diagnostic methods for this, and patients can identify which specific onychomycosis has affected them, thanks to the characteristic symptoms and photos of the nails affected by the fungus.
Photo of nail fungus on nails in different stages of development
The first symptoms of the disease appear as follows:
- changes in the color of the nail and the skin around the nail plate;
- appearance of yellow and white spots, longitudinal stripes, microcracks, spots, rough skin;
- The nail plate changes its structure, becoming lumpy, thin, loose and brittle.
In the second stage, the fungus begins to actively divide, and the symptoms of the unpleasant disease begin to literally bloom before our eyes. The nail thickens and darkens, deforms, becomes brittle, and over time deep cracks appear on it.
The advanced phase of nail plate damage is manifested by its pathological thickening or thinning. Strong thickening of the nail plate is a protective reaction of the body. By the density of the stratum corneum, you can determine how deep the fungus has penetrated the nail.
When the fungus does its job and the body dilutes the nail plate as a source of infection, the fungus will spread to the nail bed. It is filled with a purulent process and susceptibility to various infections.
Photograph of onychomycosis in different variants of the disease course
Dermatologists identify different variants of the disease course. One look at the legs is enough for an expert to make a diagnosis.
Normotrophic flow variant
Has the following features:
- nail thickness is preserved, indicating localization of infection in the upper layers;
- nails are thick, not brittle;
- presence of yellow or white foci in the form of spots and stripes; The
- edge of the affected nail is serrated and serrated.
The prognosis of treatment in this case is favorable. Until thickening occurs, the nail can be saved quickly.
Has the following symptoms:
- deformation of the nail plate is visible to the naked eye;
- the nail crumbles;
- plate color is gray, dirty yellow, brown, lacks natural shine;
- hyperkeratosis, which is manifested by increased growth of the horny cells of the plate upwards, which causes discomfort in walking, painful sensations.
Most often, hyperkeratosis is the main reason for seeking medical help.
Atrophic course variant
It features the following features:
- the nail is thinned, gray or brown;
- discarding the nail plate.
In this case, the treatment is very difficult, hopes for the restoration of the nail plate are minimal, and the risk that the nail will completely atrophy.
Photo of the fungus on the nails depending on the pathogen
There are three types of fungi that infect the nail plate.
They are recognized by the following symptoms:
- nail plate deformation;
- appearance of streaks, stains, blurring of nails;
- malnutrition of nail and mold damage is manifested by the appearance of brown and black spots;
- redness and inflammation of the nail skin.
They have the following features:
- the nail became thinner and more relaxed; The
- periungual area is often inflamed;
- lesion of interdigital folds and feet.
Those who have constant contact with water are susceptible to infection with this pathogen.
The following characteristic symptoms are distinguished:
- change the color of the board to green, black, gray;
- fungus can develop after a finger strike;
- mold does not penetrate deep into the nail.
Photo of onychomycosis, depending on the form of the disease
The onset of negative manifestations in different cases begins at a specific point on the nail plate.
- onset of infection from the free edge;
- the edge of the nail becomes white or yellowish;
- infection gradually grows from the edge to the center.
Lateral variant (s)
Has the following symptoms:
- starts from the side of the nail on the skin fold;
- The colonies of the fungus, moving from the sides towards each other, quickly spread the disease, covering the entire surface of the nail.
Characterizes the following manifestations:
- disease begins on the side of the cuticle;
- gradual penetration of the fungus from the beginning of the nail to the edge, leading to the appearance of stains, thinning of the plate.
Has the following clinical picture:
- can appear on any part of the nail plate;
- rapid development and distribution;
- due to the defeat of the upper layer, the nail appears to be covered with white powder;
- no thickening.
Symptoms of this nail fungus:
- spread of infection from the free edge of the nail and cuticle;
- inflammation of the periungual fold;
- thinning or hyper-thickening of the plate;
The reasons for such a rapid flow can be improper treatment or lack thereof, as well as a significant weakening of the body's immune system.
The fight against nail fungus should start with knowledge about it. Thanks to this selection of photos, you can independently determine the cause, location and severity of onychomycosis.